Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

don quijote 400th anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kard
    Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    • Dec 2003

don quijote 400th anniversary

the eternal champion, his companion, and the horse :D

http://www.donquijotedelamancha2005.com/
  • PsychicWarVeteran
    Flesh Bag of Mostly Water
    • Mar 2004

Cool link, kard. They allow you to download the entire novel of Don Quixote de la Mancha! How cool is that!?

Don Quixote was an incarnation of the Eternal Champion! Of course! How did I not see that? :lol:

Better go read the novel now that I have it downloaded...
    "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
    --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

• L'Etranger
      Veteran Moorcockista
      • Dec 2003

The life story of Cervantes is in itself a very interesting tale.
      And amazing isn't it - Don Quijote is most read book after the Bible according to what I heard. 400 years old and still going strong!
      Google ergo sum

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
        Site Host
        • Dec 2003

And still one of the funniest books around, pretty much as relevant today as ever. Substitute Lord of the Rings for Palmerin of England and even the commentaries work!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Kalessin
          Denizen of Moo Uria
          • Nov 2004

Reading Don Quixote at the moment - finding it really depressing actually - but then I've never liked slapstick humour in general. I always end up feeling sorry for the protagonist rather than laughing at them.

Now Egil Skallagrimson - he was an EC if anyone was! ;)
          Arma virumque cano.

Comment

• Governor of Rowe Island
            Orgone Accumulator
            • Aug 2004

I'd like to think Sherlock Holmes is an incarnatiion of the EC. He even had his jokey sidekick who never quite understood how his friend accomplished what he did, and was continually drawn back to him, no matter how long the seperation.
            You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Governor of Rowe Island
              Orgone Accumulator
              • Aug 2004

Oh, and of course, the horse pulled the Hansom cab.
              You see, it's... it's no good, Montag. We've all got to be alike. The only way to be happy is for everyone to be made equal.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

Image Hive :-: Wikiverse :-: Media Hive

:-: Onsite Offerings :-:

"I am an observer of life, a non-participant who takes no sides. I am in the regimented society, but not of it." Moondog, 1964

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                Site Host
                • Dec 2003

It might depend on your translation as to how you enjoy Don Quixote (or not). I tend to feel like Sancho Panza -- knowing the old guy's barmy, but wanting to go along with his romantic fantasy of the world because it's such an attractive way of seeing things. I don't really see the joke as being on Don Quixote, but on the vulgarity and lack of romance of the world around him. Sancho knows the world for what it is, but rather likes the idea of it being the way his boss sees it.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Athenys
                  Autarch of Ulthwe
                  • Oct 2004

Here is a link to a trailer for an animated film based loosely on 'Don Quixote' for the 400 yr. anniversary:

http://www.filmaxanimation.com/scrip...er&anchura=320

The fact that it's being made by a Spanish animation studio is comforting, I can only imagine what it would turn out like if Disney was behind it :roll: ...

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
                    Eternal Champion
                    • Feb 2004

Linking both Holmes and Quixote is, of course, the George C. Scott film They Might Be Giants... in which Scott stars as man who believes that he is the great detective, and his psychiatrist (Dr. Watson) is drawn into his romantic vision of the world. One of my favourite films, for the record.

Justin Playfair/Sherlock Holmes:

Well, [Quixote] had a point. 'Course he carried it a bit too far. He thought that every windmill was a giant. That's insane. But, thinking that they might be, well... All the best minds used to think the world was flat. But what if it isn't? It might be round. And bread mold might be medicine. If we never looked at things and thought of what might be, why we'd all still be out there in the tall grass with the apes.
                    http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0067848/?...fc=1;ft=2;fm=1
                    "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

• Mikey_C
                      Champion of the Balance
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      It might depend on your translation as to how you enjoy Don Quixote (or not).
                      Which one(s) would you reccommend?
                      \"...an ape reft of his tail, and grown rusty at climbing, who yet feels himself to be a symbol and the frail representative of Omnipotence in a place that is not home.\" James Branch Cabell

Comment

• kard
                        Sailor on the Seas of Fate
                        • Dec 2003

the satire is very much based, i agree, on the fact that Sancho sees through his masters folly, but gets in a conflict with his sense of serving his masters demands. he is definitively more clever than Quijote, which does not prevent him from stepping into trouble, of course. like Sam in LotR, but very unlikely like Watson :D

Comment

Working...
                        X