Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Another elric ripp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lurue-Blackheart
    Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    • Jul 2004

Another elric ripp

Mister moorcock
    I was browsing the internet this morning in search for Magic the Gathering cards. There was a web site that you could make your own cards and buy them from the site. they had a favorites section and in it was an "Elric of Melnibone" magic card and it was for sale for 5 or 6 bucks. i thought it was a total joke. i'll have to get back to you with the web sites name. I just thought that was totally lame. a lot of people use your chaos symbol also. thanks for your time
  • Michael Moorcock
    Site Host
    • Dec 2003

The chaos symbol has gone into the public domain. I would only pursue someone who copyrighted it as their own. Elric, however, is protected by trademarks, copyrights and so forth and I have signed a contract with Universal which gives them sole right of marketing any new work in relation to the film. My dealings with Wizards have up to now been reasonable and I would not like to think that they have sunk to ripping me off. I'm hoping we'll discover that this isn't the case! I appreciate your alerting me, however. My lawyers have recently pursued a case where a company was clearly passing off an Elric figure under another name and they will pursue any company which makes unauthorised figures or representations from any of my work.

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
    The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
    Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
    The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
    Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Danisty
      Denizen of Moo Uria
      • Jun 2004

My lawyers have recently pursued a case where a company was clearly passing off an Elric figure under another name and they will pursue any company which makes unauthorised figures or representations from any of my work.
      How is that going by the way? Or can you say?

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
        Flesh Bag of Mostly Water
        • Mar 2004

I've actually seen a couple different Elric Magic the Gathering cards on the net. One is here, and is the one I think Lurue is referring to:

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsao...rds/EElric.JPG

Main site link: http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/CustomMTG.html

What's ironic about this guy is he says he used to sell them on eBay, but stopped because he didn't want people "stealing the images"! 8O

And then there's this one:

http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities...-melnibone.jpg

This is from a site that claims the card is an actual Legend of Lore rarity. Elric looks like Brad Pitt. :x Trashy!

Main site link: http://www.magiclibrary.net/rarities...s-of-lore.html
        "Wounds are all I'm made of. Did I hear you say that this is victory?"
        --Michael Moorcock, Veteran of the Psychic Wars

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
          Site Host
          • Dec 2003

I'll check it out, thanks.
          The other case has reached a conclusion. My lawyer has told me not to talk about it until all papers are fully filed and so on.
          Enough to say that I'm satisfied with the outcome and there won't be any more rips from that particular company. I'm hoping it will act as a warning to others that I am prepared to pursue trademark and copyright infringements.

The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
          Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
          Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
            • Mar 2004

Something I just noticed on the second card I linked to: they gave you credit at the very bottom of the card (آ© Michael Moorcock), but they omitted the accent on "Melnibonأ©." Such attention to detail and lack of it at the same time! :lol:

Comment

• Whiskers
              flying cat
              • Nov 2003

I think that card is bogus. I think it is a homemade card, handcrafted to order.
              The cat spread its wings and flew high into the air, hovering to keep pace with them as they moved cautiously toward the city. Then, as they climbed over the rubble of what had once been a gateway and began to make their way through piles of weed-grown masonry, the cat flew to the squat building with the yellow dome upon its roof. It flew twice around the dome and then came back to settle on Jhary's shoulder. - The King of the Swords

Comment

• Krzysiek
                Defender of the Runestaff
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by PsychicWarVeteran

Several years ago this card was printed as a joke in one of the CCG magazines: Duelist or InQuest. There were also cards with other fantasy heroes like Kane, Gandalf etc (as far as I remember). They printed only fronts, so if you wanted to have a 'proper' card with your favourite hero and with the Magic logo on the back, you had to cut out the picture from the magazine, stick it to a real card and put it into a plastic sleeve (the paper was extremely thin). I still have my Elric card and use it as a bookmark.

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
                  • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Krzysiek
                  Several years ago this card was printed as a joke in one of the CCG magazines: Duellist or Inquest.
                  Hrm... :? ...you would think they'd have let MM know about it, at least.

Seeing something like that in a magazine would inspire someone to buy the mag who might not have otherwise done so. Seems unethical to me to use the copyrighted works of others to achieve that end (at least without first getting proper permission).

And as I stated before, Elric looks like Brad Pitt on that card. Very icky. Certainly doesn't look albino by any means.

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                    Site Host
                    • Dec 2003

Yeah, that stuff's irritating, but not worth pursuing, in my view. However, with Universal owning the rights, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to try it too often now! :)

Comment

Anonymous

I agree with Barry- that Elric card is homemade. Wizards might be whores, but they aren't stupid whores. They would never stoop to something like that and risk a massive lawsuit.

Comment

• Krzysiek
                        Defender of the Runestaff
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by dl
                        I agree with Barry- that Elric card is homemade. Wizards might be whores, but they aren't stupid whores. They would never stoop to something like that and risk a massive lawsuit.
                        What I wrote 4 post above is a fact, so your agreement with Berry or with anybody is meaningless. InQuest used to print jokes like this almost every issue and AFAIK nobody have ever sued them. So think twice before throwing insults. BTW, the magazine was published by Wizard Entertainment not by Wizards of the Coast.

Comment

• PsychicWarVeteran
                          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Krzysiek
                          What I wrote 4 post above is a fact, so your agreement with Berry or with anybody is meaningless. InQuest used to print jokes like this almost every issue and AFAIK nobody have ever sued them. So think twice before throwing insults.
                          I think maybe the problem here is that we are talking about two different cards, since I linked to two totally different cards in my first post to this thread. Is it possible Berry and dl are referring to this card as being the homemade one?

Comment

Anonymous

That is appalling...

Only 1/2?

I'd have thought a 6/6 would be closer the mark!

Comment

Anonymous

Urp?

Elric, however, is protected by trademarks, copyrights and so forth and I have signed a contract with Universal which gives them sole right
                              Universal owns me now? Damn, that blows 8O :D

Comment

Working...
                              X