Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

World Fantasy Convention 2006, in Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Anonymous

World Fantasy Convention 2006, in Austin

Mr. Moorcock, do you plan to attend the WFC in Austin, TX, in 2006?

Thanks,

EJ
  • lemec
    Eternal Champion
    • Jul 2005

Hello,

Could someone please tell me more about the World Fantasy Convention 2006?

I have this link to it: http://www.fact.org/wfc2006/

-but I am not sure if I understand it completely.

Has anyone been to one?

Is it open to the public for an admission fee?

-or do you have to be a member?

Is it set up like the sci-fi conventions? Where you can hear speakers, buy from the dealers room and in this case, there seems to be an art show.

I just want to know if I can pay the Membership or Supporting Membership, and just go right in? Pay at the door available too? or-do I need to register in advance.

I might actually be able to go this time,I've been thinking about getting out to Texas for other reasons and I would like to go when they have the con, if I make it out there this year.

Doc, are you going to the convention?

Thanks so much!

-Lemec

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
    - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Hieronymus
      Angelic Painter
      • Mar 2004

Lemec,
      I have known only "The Cimmerian" is in nomination at the WorldCon 2006, with my illustrations.
      Unfortunately I cannot be there, I'd wish to be next year to the Fantasy Con in NYC...
      Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

• lemec
        Eternal Champion
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Hieronymus
        Lemec,
        I have known only "The Cimmerian" is in nomination at the WorldCon 2006, with my illustrations.
        Unfortunately I cannot be there, I'd wish to be next year to the Fantasy Con in NYC...
        Hieronymus,

Very cool!

I was going to ask if you were going, but I did not know if you would be tied up or not. Plus, you live pretty far away,hehe.

I hope "The Cimmerian" wins, what is it up against?

Thanks!

"With a deep, not-unhappy sigh, Elric prepared to do battle with an army." (Red Pearls)
        - Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Hieronymus
          Angelic Painter
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by lemec
          I hope "The Cimmerian" wins, what is it up against?
          I've seen this Lem:
          SPECIAL AWARD: NON-PROFESSIONAL

The Friends of Arthur Machen (for Faunus, Machenalia, and The Life of Arthur Machen)
          Leo Grin (for The Cimmerian)
          David Howe and Stephen Walker (for Telos Books)
          Jess Nevins (for The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Victoriana, from MonkeyBrain Books)
          Rodger Turner, Neil Walsh, and Wayne MacLaurin (for SF Site)

I'd like to be with a little artshow to the next in NY, but actually I'm not so sure, may be I'll be sure in January.
          By the way if I'd be in NY I think to show four new artworks: Elric, Erekose, Corum and Hawkmoon...
          I don't know if there will be another friends of mine by the "Angels' Court" for a short movie as we did last year at the Worldcon , but if we should be in NY I hope to see a lot of you.
          Hieronymus

- Dalmatius -

"I'm forbidden to reign, but I'll never yield before the facts: I am the Cat"

Comment

• lemec
            Eternal Champion
            • Jul 2005

That sounds good, Hieronymus.

The new paintings will be fantastic!

The artwork on your website is impressive.

I won't be going to New York, but hope to see the new ones sometime,maybe online,hehe.

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
              Site Host
              • Dec 2003

Last one I went to, as I recall, I paid at the door. I prefer to go as a private attendee rather than as a guest, since it allows me to mooch around, talk to friends and so on. There ARE dealers rooms, panels and so on. Generally speaking, World Fantasy is smaller than the big World SF conventions and tends to have a lot more professionals (though this by no means should make it daunting, since the professionals are probably even nicer when at their most relaxec).

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
              The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
              Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
              The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
              Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• Doc
                Doc
                Eternal Champion
                • Jan 2004

I may go, as it seems silly to miss it when it is in my backyard. It will be worth the $150 bucks or whatever it costs to get in for the few days it runs. I considered trying to get on one of the panels as a scholar, but I'm not sure I have the time to devote to it right now.

Perhaps I can cheer loudest should Hieronymous win! (I'll cheer for you anyway, even if I am at home )
                Last edited by Doc; 09-02-2006, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• lemec
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                  Last one I went to, as I recall, I paid at the door. I prefer to go as a private attendee rather than as a guest, since it allows me to mooch around, talk to friends and so on. There ARE dealers rooms, panels and so on. Generally speaking, World Fantasy is smaller than the big World SF conventions and tends to have a lot more professionals (though this by no means should make it daunting, since the professionals are probably even nicer when at their most relaxec).

Mike,

Thanks for the information. It does sound like alot of fun. I would get to see alot of fascinating people there. I might even learn a thing or two, from the professionals. Paying at the door would be the way to go for me,I think. That way, I can be more spontaneous. haha.

It does give me something really nice to think about. Looks like I will have enough time to decide and make plans.

cool stuff!

-Lemec

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• lemec
                    Eternal Champion
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Doc
                    I may go, as it seems silly to miss it when it is in my backyard. It will be worth the $150 bucks or whatever it costs to get in for the few days it runs. I considered trying to get on one of the panels as a scholar, but I'm not sure I have the time to devote to it right now.

Perhaps I can cheer loudest should Hieronymous win! (I'll cheer for you anyway, even if I am at home )

Hi Doc,

That sounds good. I am going to have a visitor in November, but I think they will get here afer that convention. Technically, I could go, but I still have some other factors to weigh.

So, if I get to go, I will listen for when you are cheering for Hieronymous and shout along with you. hahaha!

I have a feeling that I would wear a suit to that event, so no t-shirt declaring that I am Lemec. I'll make myself known by other means. ;)

(from all the jpeg's of me floating around here, I'm sure I can't be missed. )

Thanks!

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• lemec
                      Eternal Champion
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Michael Moorcock
                      If you see me, Joe, introduce yourself. Linda and I will be pleased to meet you!

Mike,

I sure will introduce myself and say hello. Thanks!

It will be delightful to see you two in person!

Cheers!

-Joe

- Michael Moorcock

Comment

• Pellaz
                        Defender of the Runestaff
                        • Sep 2004

Shucks, if I weren't so strapped for cash -- after Dragon*Con and with our music festival coming up here, I'm poor -- I'd consider going to this m'self. It's been a while since I've been to a WFC but as Mike said, they tend to be far less hectic and crowded than Worldcon, with a higher pro-to-fan ratio. And I could always stay with my uncle in Austin. (And there's Zilker Park and Barton Springs...which was closed for cleaning on Thursday (!) the last time I visited, the only day I could've gone. )

As I recall WFC wasn't cheap, either....$100 minimum for a membership and that was many years ago. The price tended to keep the casual tourists away, though.

Comment

Working...
                        X