Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to Moorcock's Miscellany

Dear reader,

Many people have given their valuable time to create a website for the pleasure of posing questions to Michael Moorcock, meeting people from around the world, and mining the site for information. Please follow one of the links above to learn more about the site.

Thank you,
Reinart der Fuchs
See more
See less

Other Eternals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Krimson
    Eternal Companion
    • Nov 2004

Other Eternals?

I had taken some serious thought to this when reading the Scrayling Tree. Gaynor the Damned (Paul von Minct) is referred to as the Eternal Predator. The Eternal Champion has often had an Eternal Companion.

Mr Moorcock, what I am wondering is if you have ever given thought to this and if there are other categories of Eternals? In Fabulous Harbours there was Manfred the Wandering Gentile, and references to the Wandering Jew (who decided to take it easy). To me these could be "Eternal Wanderers". Actually, I thought it would be kind of ironic if so-called Eternal Wanderers were cursed to be denied access to the Moonbeam Road. But that's just the sadist in me.
    Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."
  • kard
    Sailor on the Seas of Fate
    • Dec 2003

...or eternal fools. get Rocinante out, Sancho!
    :D

Comment

• Krimson
      Eternal Companion
      • Nov 2004

I just have such strange thoughts about such a story. I could imagine the Sendentary Jew, sitting at home, minding his own business, not bothering anyone. But can he live in peace without someone bothering him? No of course not, this is a Micheal Moorcock story. Of course, it would be even stranger if it were a pleasant story where no major conflicts happened. However it should work out, I'm sure the Sedentary Jew would lead an interesting life, and would be bound to get fascinating company now and again.
      Yuki says, "Krimson used to be known as Kommando, but he rarely uses that name anymore. Sometimes he appears as Krimson Gray as well. Do not be confused, he still loves cats and bagels."

Comment

• Krimson
        Eternal Companion
        • Nov 2004

I did quite enjoy the Second Ether trilogy. Fabulous Harbours was an interesting format, linking old and new stories alike. I should go back and give that story another read.

Comment

• McTalbayne
          Eternal Companion
          • Jan 2004

Kommando, that pic at the Bottom of your Posts ROX!!
          It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor.

Comment

• Krimson
            Eternal Companion
            • Nov 2004

Thanks, man. The inspiration comes from this thread [broken link]here. You can see some more of my digital art stuff in there. I have to thank Perdix for bringing up the subject of bagels. I seem to have an irrational attraction to the absurd. :D
            Last edited by Rothgo; 04-09-2010, 03:42 AM.

Comment

• xidrep
              Champion of the Balance
              • Nov 2004

Many thanks, Kommando, but I was in turn inspired by DeeCrowSeer, truly the enfant terrible of semitic dough products...

PS. Your Chaos Bagel banner makes me wet myself every time I see it. It's v good. Mind you, I'm easily pleased...

Comment

• DeeCrowSeer
                Eternal Champion
                • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Perdix
                Many thanks, Kommando, but I was in turn inspired by DeeCrowSeer, truly the enfant terrible of semitic dough products...
                By a strange conincidence, that's exactly what it says on my business cards!

The Second Ether books are fantastic, and should be read by everyone, regardless of their bagel-filling preferences.
                "That which does not kill us, makes us stranger." - Trevor Goodchild

Comment

• Doc
                  Doc
                  Eternal Champion
                  • Jan 2004

I have to agree with any suggestion to read the second ether trilogy. It's fantastic on its own, but especially satisfying if you've read a lot of MM's other work.

I also agree with any suggestions to eat lots of bagels. :D

Comment

• Krimson
                    Eternal Companion
                    • Nov 2004

I'd recommend picking up the Multiverse of Michael Morcock graphic novel by DC's Vertigo imprint. It ties in with the Second Ether Trilogy quite nicely. It has a nice little plot with the Chaos Engineers and the Singularity. And Paul Minct finally gets a good dose of the Rose's thorny side.

Comment

Anonymous

Don't leave out the Tanelorn group

Rackhir and company had some sparse adventures in the series, but will they be worth a mention in future books? BIG Corum fan here...please bring em back even if by the hand of Kwell and eye of Rhynn.
                      And hey, how about an altered universe where Erekose fights the Sword Rulers or Corum leads Ireland against Gran Bretan or Elric faces the Fhore Myore or Hawkmoon meets the lords of the Dragon Isle....course now I'm just rambling......

Comment

• Michael Moorcock
                        Site Host
                        • Dec 2003

I suspect that all this will have to be told by other parties after I'm dead! For the near future, at least, I have two Peake projects and a 'straight' novel to do. However optimistic I might be, I have only a limited amount of time left to do all that I want to do. I'd also like to kick back a little. After forty years of almost non-stop working in one form or another, I feel like taking it easy, at least for a couple of weeks or so every year!

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in Europe:
                        The Whispering Swarm: Book One of the Sanctuary of the White Friars - The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction
                        Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles - Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - Modem Times 2.0 - The Sunday Books - The Sundered Worlds

Pre-order or Buy my latest titles in the USA:
                        The Laughter of Carthage - Byzantium Endures - London Peculiar and Other Nonfiction - The Sunday Books - Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles
                        Kizuna: Fiction for Japan - The Sundered Worlds - The Winds of Limbo - Modem Times 2.0 - Elric: Swords and Roses

Comment

• xidrep
                          Champion of the Balance
                          • Nov 2004

It would be well-deserved, indeed...I find myself wondering: Do you find it satisfying that your original characters and multiversal concepts have, to varying extents, acquired a 'life of their own' (whether in other writers' stories or in games, movies, etc)? Do you feel a slight frisson of eeriness when some of those elements (especially Jerry) appear to gain an autonomous existence outside of your direct control? Or, do you view yourself as the 'parent', creating and moulding a character or world, and then releasing it into independent existence, watching the results with paternal interest?

Just curious... :roll:

Comment

Working...
                          X